February 14, 2015

What Are You Leaving Behind?

Courtney Hersch
Sky Family Delegation

As the tall white building that we all have grown to love fades into the distance, you can’t help but reflect on the unforgettable memories and lessons of Florida Youth In Government. From District to Supreme Court, from Bowen to Williams, and from reporters to editors, YIG has helped us all grow and develop. The people that we met throughout these Assemblies have not only influenced our YIG experience, but also our lives.
I speak to those of us whose clocks have run out of time. Seniors, everything that you have hoped to accomplish, everything that you worked for, has been for something. You have all contributed to the success and fun of this year’s State Assembly.
“I would not change a single moment that I have had during Youth In Government,” Jacob Glasser, Chief Justice, stated. “It was by far one of the best experiences of my life.”
Even though our days at Youth In Government have come to an end, the memories that we have made and the legacies that we have left behind will live on forever. At the end of the day, I hope you realize that your legacy has influenced somebody. Nobody goes unnoticed.
“I want to leave behind hope and contribution to the future success of YIG,” Williams Representative, Sydney Eskin, stated. “I hope this program influences everybody as much as it has influenced me.”

As we seniors leave State Assembly for the final time, I challenge the younger delegates to be the best you can be. I challenge you to leave everything that you have worked for on the floor. At the end of the day, ask yourself: ‘What do I want to leave behind?’

No comments: