February 26, 2011

Interview with Youth Governor, Alex Fahnlander

BY HALEY OBERHOFER
Staff

Length in Program?
4 years
When you first started, did you anticipate that you would one day become governor?
When I first started, I didn’t actually know what the program was about. I was in a lot of clubs, but the leadership that year really pushed Hillary and I to run for leadership in the future. By the end of Freshman year, I was really motivated to run for governor and I ran for Sullivan House Speaker. So at that point I was really looking forward to the opportunity to be in this position.
How did you get involved with YIG?
My best friend, Jessica Ayers, came into my government classroom and gave me a slip of paper that said, “Phi Delta Y,” which is the name of our chapter, and so I went to the meeting and it was awesome. I stuck with it and started debating right away.
What are your thoughts on the new positions for the Lobby, Judicial and Press Corps program changes?
I think it is such an amazing opportunity for our program. One of the problems we face as a PO core is that we do not get to work with delegates, specifically before State Assembly, except for the legislative program. Having Supporting Officers in these program areas, will help them grow tremendously and make them stronger programs as a whole.
Were you able to accomplish everything you had hoped this year as governor?
Not everything, but what you have to take into consideration is that your goals change when you take on office. You are introduced to a whole new level of program involvement. With understanding what the position actually entailed, my goals changed. I am very happy with what our PO core has accomplished this year. It has been a really great year.
What has been the most rewarding experience of you term?
Preparing a legacy for next year’s PO core because I not only know both of the women who will be running this program extremely well, but I know that they will have a better year because of it. I am just really excited our PO core has worked on that as a whole and I know that they are going to be awesome next year. An emphasis on service has been a really amazing movement for our program.
What do you hope to see for the future governors of the program?
Seeing them get involved is amazing. I really hope that they can take their position to a new level. Just, in general, making sure that they goals that they make, get accomplished. The biggest thing is taking this program to where they want to lead it.
If you could change one thing about this year, would you?
At this point you cannot have any regrets. I do not think I would change anything, except for maybe getting more sleep. I am the person I am right now because of what has happened over the past assemblies.
What is your favorite part of State Assembly?
Um, that’s so difficult. I think I would say Opening Ceremonies because everyone comes together, last year campaigning was so much fun. I am really excited for Closing Ceremonies, as well. Oh, and the Governor’s Ball, of course! It really gives you a perspective of the entire program. Going on the dance floor is awesome! Even if you did not like the person before then, you are out there on the dance floor with them!
Moe’s or Chipotle?
Moe’s!

No comments: